September 2, 2015

Floral Deer Silhouette Painting Video Tutorial



This was an especially fun painting. I did it live on YouTube as part of the #PawgustArt (Animal Theme) event that was hosted by the Creative Arts Collaboration group I belong to. This was my first time doing a live stream painting event and it was a lot of fun. I will show links to my full length video and the shorter time lapse one below.



First I found a deer image from the internet and traced it's outline. Notice I did not include the whole neck and I thickened up parts of the antlers and adjusted the ear a little so it was not so close to the antlers.  Then using graphite paper I transferred my outline to my sketch book.


I sketched out the flowers and leaves using the outline of the deer as much as possible. I also incorporated the eye and nose as parts of leaves and flowers. Fit your details inside the outline and fill all the empty spaces if possible without overlapping much.  Then trace out your design leaving out the original outline.  Transfer this to your mat board or other surface with graphite paper (I used white graphite for my dark grey background).

I sealed the Mat Board (just a scrap from a frame shop) with Clear Gesso and lightly sanded it to give it a distressed look. It also protected the background from water and paint drips. I used Golden Fluid Acrylic Titanium White to paint in my details. You could use a white marker or other color paint as well.

Shorter Time Lapse Version

Full length Event Video

4 comments:

  1. I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. this article is truly a good paragraph, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly like your technique of writing a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.

    ReplyDelete