August 2, 2011

Books! What Do You Recommend?

I thought I'd share some of my favorite books and see what others recommend. 

Top of my list would have to be Jane Austen's books.  (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Persuasion, Emma, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey)  There is a reason they have been made into countless movies.  Her stories always have happy endings, and who doesn't love that!  But she is also incredibly witty and each story has it's own personality.  I love them all. 

Along the same lines as Jane is an author I just found called Georgette Heyer.  If you love Jane, you will love Georgette.  She wrote in the 1920's-70's about the Regency Period (in which Jane Austen lived).   My favorites so far are The Black Moth, The Grand Sophy, These Old Shades, Faro's Daughter, The Devil's Cub, and Cousin Kate.  They are short reads (a couple of days at most) and thoroughly entertaining, funny and sweetly romantic. 

Other favorite books:

Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon (Time travel & kilts, what's not to love?  The whole Outlander series is great historical fiction/romance.  Jamie is my favorite all-time male hero.  The love story in this series is almost too descriptive so I wouldn't recommend it for teens.)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (So great!  One of my favorite books ever!  Read it soon, before the movie comes out.)

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins (I really liked the first and second book, didn't love the last.  Still a fun read.)

Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers (I know, I know!  It's not exactly literature, but I love a good, clean romance and this one delivers.)

That's all for now.  I've got lots more to add but I have to make dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment